Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Late Surge Washes Away Blue Wave

We opened up our season against Darien on Wednesday evening. For as long as I can remember, external forces manage to somehow always keep the showdown a tight one. And tonight, it was just that.

Trailing by 1 after one, Paulie Amarone put one inside the left post on the first shot of the second period. Darien answered, and it stayed 2-1 for the remainder of the period. Things got nasty however, as the Darien players were sure to never forget a nice post-whistle chirp, or a late jab to the pelvic region. We remained composed for the most of the time, which Coach was very proud of.

I can vividly remember one time I did not keep my cool. A Darien player, way after the whistle, decided to just grab my stick and try and skate away with it. I immediately punched him in the head. That was extremely stupid of me, and as I sat in the box for two, I thought that the measure of courage isn't how hard I hit him in retaliation, but how many hits, pulls, or grabs one can just ignore and walk away. A power play usually will result, therefore benefitting the team greatly.


Speaking of powerplays, tonight we were 2/4, which isn't bad by any standards. Nick Amarone had one of his own to get things going midway through the third, and Justin MacGregor tipped a beautiful Jim burt snapshot out of mid-air to take the lead late in the third. He wasn't done though, as the winger streaked down the left side of the ice and put one glove side past the Dairen tender. MacGregor, always looking to stir things up, wasn't finished at this point either, as he skated to the Darien crowd and gave his best John Cena/Allie Alloi impression that got many out of their seats. According to MacGregor, "The cellie is the best part of scoring."

Bottom line is that it was a thriller for both teams. As talented fourth-liner William Reilly put it, "It was the most fun I ever had watching a hockey game. Plus I had front row seats. Who's better than me?" It was our first test to see how we handled adversity, whether it be bad calls or trailing a game heading into the final period, and it is safe to say that we stuck together and passed the test with flying colors. Well done boys.

Next up is Hingham, MA on Saturday for the home opener. Expect to see a hard-fought battle as another Boston Super-8 team comes to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment