Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Glastonbury Recap: Would You Rather Kiss Your Sister?

Well ladies and gents, tonight's blog will serve many purposes. But to be honest, the main purpose is to warm up my left temporal lobe for the upcoming psych paper I shall be writing later this evening.

We played Glastonbury to a well-fought 1-1 tie this Wednesday Evening. They say that a tie is worse than kissing your sister, but quite honestly I'd take the tie any day of the week. We ran into a hot goaltender on the other end that made over 40 saves, and that happens. Stephen Ruocco broke the ice with a mid-second period goal, after his wingers Billy Reilly and James Wilson executed the right wing lock to perfection. The fourth line is really showing that they want to be there, as they lead the team in points at home. Glastonbury answered with a goal of their own in the third as we underwent a minor defensive zone breakdown. And scoring-wise, that is all there was.

As evident, the game wasn't all about scoring. A few things about this night I will address. Tonight being the first home scrimmage, fans usually expect some genius combination of techno and Disturbed music as we skate in circles for 8 minutes. I apologize. I know I did a sub-par job in the warm-up music category, but I cannot take all the blame. The sound system at the rink made the music resemble the voice of Mr. Vakos. For those of you who don't associate with him (I don't blame you), he is extremely hard to decipher. Second on the agenda is the rule I just learned the hard way. Last year, if I was in a tight situation in a corner without a stick, I would instinctively grab the puck with my hand and toss it towards a teammate. Coaches frowned upon it, but I thought that it was legal and innovative. Opponents usually looked up at the flying puck in shock. Tonight I found myself in a similar situation, but after I had grabbed the puck I saw a zebra with one arm raised. Two minutes in the sin bin for delay-of-game, or as my coach said, "being stupid". Good one R.J., very innovative. Lastly, I would like to know if any of you can explain to me what my coach means when he tells us to "keep humping out there". This is his new phrase. At first we thought it was pumping, which was weird, but acceptable. But now that we had him spell it out, which he did with an "h", it is still weird but now also unacceptable. What can he possibly be trying to get at?

On Saturday we take on Malden Catholic at home, one of the top teams in New England. This will serve as my last scrimmage as a high school hockey player. Tears will be flowing. Until then, "keep humping".

No comments:

Post a Comment